In May 2015 there was a discussion by the world's top beatboxing loopers on The Loop Station Facebook page about improvements that could be made to the BOSS RC-505 loopstation. Equally, these improvements apply to any other future looping device for beatboxers. Here are the results. If you have more suggestions please join in the conversation!
The RC-505 has input FX (that can be recorded) and output FX that can be applied to tracks.
- The ability to bounce down the output FX on a track (not just the repeat/shift/scatter/flick)
- More Input and Output FX - e.g. Distortion, Synth, Tracking Octave, Stereo Delay, Subharmonic Synth
- The ability to select more than one input FX simultaneously. e.g. reverb + delay
- To have the FX in alphabetical order
- The addition of a Feedback Destroyer to help combat feedback issues when using a mic
- Stronger faders - better build quality
- Fabricated out of metal and not plastic - better build quality
- Pads closer to each other so the user can hit 5 pads with each finger on one hand
- Separate audio outputs for each track
- Two sets of stereo outputs for extra routing of sub and main (aka RC300)
- Stereo Mixdown (bouncedown to two tracks)
- The USB output signal should be divided into independent tracks for mastering
- The ability to move or bounce loops from one track to another (with mic on mute to prevent feedback being recorded)
- More loop channels - e.g. 10.
- Touch screen for the edit and menu options
- Larger menu screen
- When using the track FX, the ability to enter the FX menu without changing/stopping the current FX
- When selecting sys:InputLineOut (off) - the mic should still be audible in the headphones.
- More quick-select FX buttons for input and output FX
- Ability to choose which tracks you want to stop when you press the "all start/stop" button
- Ability to quickly change the track settings - e.g. loops to samples
- Keep FX on-screen when being used.
- When undo or redo loop allow FX to be activated (without having to hit exit)
- Ability to customise and reorder edit menus - e.g. favourite choices could be put in the first menu slot
- Quick deleting of loops
- Ability to move/trim start and stop of a loop so you can fix errors on stage without unde/re-recording
- Sort the bug that stops play when you've recorded a 1 beat bar on the first pad and then recorded 4 bars on the second pad.