The 2014 Midwest Beatbox Battle was held Saturday, August 2nd at Strongwater in Columbus, Ohio. This national beatbox event was the third annual battle organized by Shut Your Mouth & Beatbox (SYMAB) which is a group of beatboxers dedicated to the art & uprising of American Human Beatboxing. This was the first year The Midwest Beatbox Battle is working directly with the World Beatbox Association and The 2014 American Beatbox Championship as well. The Top 2 competitors in The 2014 Midwest Beatbox Battle got a guaranteed placement in The 2014 American Beatbox Championship, October 2014.
The event included an open elimination round, in which 30+ beatboxers from across America competed for a Top 16 placing in The 2013 Midwest Beatbox Battle. There were also many showcase performances throughout the day as well as a DJ spinning some of the best hip-hop and electronic music between battles and performances. The “Top 16” beatboxers battled face-to-face on stage for a grand prize package, guaranteed placement in The 2014 American Beatbox Championship & 1st place title of The 2014 Midwest Beatbox Battle.
This event was nationally marketed and participated. The City of Columbus, Ohio was a prime location for this year’s battle. With an easy to find, comfortable venue conveniently located near Downtown, the promotional opportunities were immense. There were over 500 attendees between the ages of 18 and 40. There was vending space and opportunities available for food (outside only), clothing, apparel, and other products.
- The Top 16 contestants will battle according to rank / score. (1v16, 2v15, 3v14, 4v13, 5v12, 6v11, 7v10, etc.)
One contestant will be allowed to choose the coin flip. The contestant who wins the initial coin flip will be allowed to choose who goes first.
- Battles will be ABAB Format. Each battle will be 1:30 (one minute; thirty seconds) rounds, except for the FINAL ROUND, which will be 2:00 (two minute) rounds.
- Judges will hold up a card to determine who the winner will be. The contestant who receives the most votes from the judges panel will move on to the next battle round.
- Judges are allowed 3 overtime rounds, which can be used at any time during any battle, but must be agreed amongst the majority of judges. Overtime rounds will be :30 (thirty seconds) each.
Open Elimination Rules
- ALL AGES OPEN ELIMNATION
- Registration and check-in required before start of event.
- Names drawn from a hat or bucket to determine open elimination order.
- Elimination rounds will be 2 minutes minimum and 3 minutes maximum.
- Judges will score contestants according to 5 catergories of criteria.
- The 16 highest ranked contestants will advance to the battles.
6:00PM-6:30PM – Registration Begins / DJ Bombay
6:30PM-8:00PM – Open Elimination / 2-3 Min. Each
8:00PM- 9:00PM – DJ Bombay Showcase
9:00PM-9:20PM – Hafrican Showcase
9:20PM-9:30PM – Mike Why Showcase
9:30PM-9:50PM – Judges Showcase
9:50PM-10:00PM – LethalFX & Tony C Showcase
10:00PM-11:00PM – Top 16 / Battles Begin
11:00PM-11:30PM – Top 8 / Quarter-Finals
11:30PM-11:45PM – Top 4 / Semi-Finals
11:45PM-12:00AM – Battle for 3rd / Pre-Finals
12:00AM-12:15AM – Top 2 / Final Battle
12:15AM-1:00AM – OPEN MIC SESSION